Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Trip To The Zoo With Grandma...

We had a great day today! We drove a few hours to a fantastic zoo in Battle Creek with our Grandma, and it ended up being a really fun time. Granted, we had to get up at the crack of dawn (after we'd both worked late the night before), but it ended up being a great trip!
We saw kangaroos, wallabies, kookaburras, snow leopards, giraffes (known as twigas in swahili!) and (my personal FAVORITE) ring tailed lemurs! Oh my goodness...they were SO adorable, and they kept sitting and moving like little furry humans! Unfortunately, since it was so early when we left the apartment, I forgot my camera. But I was able to get some pictures with my phone!

 They're not the world's greatest pictures, but they're not bad for a camera phone! We spent just under 3 hours at the zoo. It had been quite a while since I had been to our local zoo, which I thought was great, but this zoo was even better! It was smaller, but it had enough cute animals to keep me happy, and pretty much everything was in the shade!  To top it all off, it wasn't crowded at all! We got to the African Safari portion of the zoo and Grandma decided to sit this portion out and just wait for us to walk through it. I took as many pictures as possible so she wouldn't feel like she totally missed out on this part of the zoo. There were zebras, giraffes (even babies!), ostriches, orangutans, exotic birds, vultures, and red river hogs (similar to warthogs). The giraffes were very friendly, and you could purchase lettuce leaves for $1 apiece. Unfortunately, I didn't have any cash on me, and my little sister just had to be the voice of reason when it came to spending her cash. [I love you, Victoria! ;)]  So of course, the giraffe licked her hand and wouldn't touch me. But look how cute it was!

 I could post all of the adorable pictures I took today, but that would make this the longest post you've ever read hahaha. Ok, ok. I'll post a few more. But really, you should go check it out yourself! Go to Binder Park Zoo and make a day of it like we did!

It's a Red Panda! Awww...


Thanks to our grandma, who spent hours on the road with us today, and who prepared a fantastic lunch (including vegan options for Kayla!) for all of us. We love you grandma, and we had tons of fun hanging out with you today! :)

2 comments:

  1. Awww, what a sweet post:>) I love the photos, (much easier to see than they were on the phone!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed you were all able to coordinate your days off and go together. Sounds like a great time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete