Monday, August 16, 2010

Sweet & Sour Chicken With Rice

All of Kayla's cooking last week inspired me to cook something for myself. Her cooking was good, but unlike Kayla, I am a total carnivore, so the vegan diet just wasn't working out for me. I ended up making some quick and easy sweet and sour chicken with some rice pilaf (I didn't realize until I had already started cooking that Kayla had used the last of our normal rice earlier in the day, so I ended up just making do with the pilaf). It was super simple and pretty yummy too!

I just used Tyson's popcorn chicken, some Kikkoman sweet & sour sauce, and some Near East almond rice pilaf! I let the chicken sit and soak in the sweet and sour sauce for about 20 minutes, and then I just threw it all in a pan and let it saute for about 15 minutes, to let it brown. The end result was delicious, and just what I'd been craving after a week of eating vegan meals!

     And of course, I had to have some organic milk to go with my non-vegan meal!

Organic milk is more expensive than regular milk, but it's one of my occasional splurges. It just tastes so much better than regular milk! I love it!
Keep an eye out for more cooking posts from Kayla in the next day or two. I know she has more vegan cooking adventures to share!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious darling! I'm not sure how to reconcile organic milk with eating processed, breaded chicken, lol, but it looks like a fairly healthy, tasty meal:>) I love seeing new posts!
    TM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha i knew someone was bound to say that sooner or later! The way I look at it, it's just an improvement, making the meal a wee bit healthier. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, brand drop much? lol. Looks yummy! Wy didn't you invite over HUHHHH???? How come you didn't tell me organic milk was better? Maybe because you're imagining a giant flavor difference? Because unless organic milk comes out of te cow chocolate flavored, it can't be tat muc more awesome!!!! xoxoxo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha oh Victoria...It really is better! I'll bring you some on wednesday. you'll see. it's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Processed, breaded chicken? Really, Lauren?

    Around here we call it evil chicken-it's bad for you but tastes oh-so-good.

    I guess I shouldn't say anything about it since it can sometimes be found in my freezer too. Well, not usually popcorn chicken...I go for the southern style breaded chicken tenders. Yumm-o!

    And speaking of highly processed foods...when are you going to feature a Spam recipe? Uncle Clarence would be so proud, even as your dad sits gagging at his computer...

    ReplyDelete