Sunday, October 24, 2010

Signs You're Officially A Grown-Up...

It turns out that as much as I thought I was "all grown up," I wasn't. At least, not until I learned the most basic of "grown-up" things yesterday - how to change a tire. If you know me at all, you understand that as much as I love my car, I have never liked taking care of it myself. I will gladly pay other people to change my oil, check the fluids, and do pretty much everything except check my tire pressure (I can handle that on my own, thank-you-very-much). Yes, my father taught me how to do most of these things on my own, but I have no interest in doing it on my own, and I certainly don't trust myself enough with most of these tasks to be sure that I didn't forget one little step, thereby making my car unsafe to drive. The thing I really didn't want to learn to do myself however, was changing a tire. Unfortunately, I was forced to learn yesterday when I went to pull out of my parking space at home and head to work, only to discover that my front passenger tire was FLAT. When I say flat, I mean...

not drivable.  But I had no choice. I was either going to have to change it myself or call a tow-truck. And in this case, it was worth it for me to learn something new in the name of saving a few dollars!

 So since I didn't really know what I was doing, I asked my boyfriend to walk me through it over the phone from England. I would ask him what the next step was, hang up, complete that step, and then call him again. Overall, it took me about an hour to complete the job, but I felt so proud of myself once it was done! But of course, it couldn't be as simple as just changing a tire.

Once the spare was on, and the jack was in the trunk again, I discovered that the spare was flat as well. I love my life. At this point I pretty much just quit caring and drove to the gas station to fill up the spare enough to get me to the tire store where they fixed my tire for free! I do love me some Discount Tire :)

Once I was finished getting my tires fixed, I decided to go get an oil change (ya know, since I was like 2,000 miles overdue and my car now almost has 150,000 miles on it. Did I mention I have a small oil leak? Yeah, I'm not sure how my car is still running either). While sitting there waiting for this fun task to be completed, I was informed that I had burnt out lights on the back of my car, oh and by the way, did you know you need a new serpentine belt? I'm telling you. This car. It's on it's way out.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I love you a lot. And I miss you. xoxoxo Love, Victoria :) Now where is a post from Kaylala?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha I'm thinking of changing the name of the blog to "two cousins being lame together, and only one of them being awesome enough to post on their blog." then again, maybe not. it's too lengthy. the point is, you should hound kayla about posting. i already do my part, so now it's time for you to join in! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really proud of you honey. It's an ugly job and one that I have managed to avoid for, oh, 52 years. Yay! Thanks Brian, for being there to talk her through it:>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very resourceful, using that old afghan for tire-changing. After all these years, it should find a good use somewhere, since it never really matched our decor.

    xoxoxoxox
    TD

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really should get your belt fixed... mine broke while I was driving with kids in my car and I lost my power steering. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete