Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ok, ok....you've guilted us into posting!

Sorry about the long absence. I'm glad to see my sister was able to tide you all over, even if it was a sneaky trick on her part! The Apartment Girls have been busy lately! Kayla is still doing full time school and pretty much full time work like she has been, and I've joined her crazy schedule. I've also been trying to change my sleep patterns, which seems to be a full time job of its own. My body seems to think I need approximately 11-12 hours of sleep per night, which really isn't helpful when you've got school and work going on at the same time. It also leaves you no time for fun things, or even just everyday tasks in general. While trying to change my sleep schedule, I seem to be making it through my days as a zombie. Maybe that's what I should be for Halloween. I have managed to start cooking a little more often though, which is a plus! Last week I made Chinese Chicken Soup (a family favorite!) and I also made my own marinade to soak the rest of my organic chicken in (can you believe that the organic chicken was the cheapest package of chicken breasts I could find at our local Meijer store last week?!?)  When I cooked the marinated chicken, I also made some rice, and this is what it ended up looking like:

It turned out pretty delicious. I made the marinade out of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and a small bit of brown sugar. YUM!

As Victoria mentioned in her post, we had a pumpkin carving party with a bunch of Kayla's friends last Sunday. We watched movies, had pizza, talked, and of course, carved pumpkins. Here are a few of the highlights from the party....

 This is apparently the only "action" shot we got of the night :)
 Kayla's very first carved pumpkin! I'm so proud of her for doing such an awesome job! :)
 This beautiful pumpkin was carved by Kayla's friend Charlotte. So pretty!
I decided to do a polka dot pumpkin. Victoria made me an awesome "swirly art" template to use, but I didn't have time to go to Kinko's to get the template enlarged enough for a pumpkin. I'm hoping to use that template this weekend on my pumpkin for work!
That's about all of the news right now! It's time to go do some more textbook reading for my online class! We'll try to update the blog more often! :)

3 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Great post and wonderful photos:>) DId you have a drill to make the holes in your pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooo, I LOVE IT!!! I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you put the chicken on rice?

    ReplyDelete